Welcome to KM Pilates
Pilates is a movement technique that creates a healthy mind and body, building strength from the inside out using exercises that are safe and progressive, concentrating on slow, controlled, flowing movements.
The Pilates method was created by Joseph Pilates in the 1920's and is a unique system of stretching and strengthening exercises where the body is worked as a whole using deep postural muscles to build core strength/stability.
Pilates specifically targets the abdominal, pelvic floor and shoulder girdle area and helps to re-balance the body bringing it into correct postural alignment.
Who is Pilates for?
Pilates is suitable for men and women of all ages and levels of fitness. It has benefits for everyone and is particularly beneficial for rehabilitation from injury; those who suffer from back problems and for anybody suffering from conditions such as MS, arthritis and osteoporosis.
It is also suitable throughout pregnancy to prepare for labour; aids post natal recovery and helps mums get back into shape.
Pilates can be done in a group (see timetable of group matwork classes) or one-to-one for the more personal touch where a programme is designed around individual goals.
Benefits of Pilates
- Helps to develop a leaner body by lengthening and strengthening muscles without building bulk
- Improves posture
- Improves flexibility
- Reduces stress and fatigue
- Improves balance and co-ordination
- Improves mind/body awareness
- Strengthens pelvic floor
- Increases/develops core abdominal strength
- Reduces back, joint and muscular pain
- Gives a general sense of well being
- Enhances athletic performance
- Helps to prevent injury